Partners

Partners

Short North Arches

Artwork Owner
Short North Alliance
Collection
Permanant Artwork
Description:

One of the most recognizable parts of the Short North Arts District is its 17 arches, which pay homage to erstwhile wooden arches first built in 1888, which is when Columbus became known as “Arch City.” Ohio was chosen to host the centennial celebration of the creation of the Northwest... Read more

One of the most recognizable parts of the Short North Arts District is its 17 arches, which pay homage to erstwhile wooden arches first built in 1888, which is when Columbus became known as “Arch City.” Ohio was chosen to host the centennial celebration of the creation of the Northwest Territory since it was the first state carved out of the territory. The wooden arches were lit by gaslight and had been built to both light the streets and dazzle visitors. In 1896, the wood and gas was replaced with steel and electric, but in 1916 the arches were torn down entirely and replaced by light posts. In 2002, almost 100 years later, 17 steel arches were reinstalled on High Street from Goodale to Fifth Avenue and are a hallmark of the Short North Arts District. The individually-programmable lights, which use LED technology, create a bright rainbow along the mile stretch of High Street that is the District.

Dates

Installed: 2000

Media
Info about this place
Street Parking
Wheelchair Accessible
Categories
Architectural Installation
Address:

17 locations
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Franklin County

Materials

Steel and LED lights

Something missing? Send us a note.

Nearby Public Artwork

Nearby Events