Partners

Partners

William Henry Harrison

Artist

Louis T. Rebisso

Description:

Portrait of William Henry Harrison dressed in military uniform and mounted on his horse. The horse is stepping forward and Harrison holds the reins.

Portrait of William Henry Harrison dressed in military uniform and mounted on his horse. The horse is stepping forward and Harrison holds the reins.

Dates

Dedicated: 1896

Additional Notes

A bronze statue of a uniformed General Harrison on horseback was dedicated in 1896 in Cincinnati's Piatt Park.Louis T. Rebisso of the Cincinnati School of Design and his student, Clement Barnhorn, created the work. "Ohio's First President" is inscribed on the north side of the pedestal; the south side includes an inscription of his name. The statue, which is notable for being the only equestrian monument in Cincinnati, is unusual because there is no saddle on the horse, so the stirrups appear to be airborne. The monument originally faced east, toward Vine Street, but it was moved in 1988 to its present location facing west, toward the Covenant First Presbyterian Church across Elm Street.

Media
Categories
Sculpture
Landscape Installation
Address:

174-198 Garfield Pl
Cincinnati, OH 45202
County

Materials

Bronze

Something missing? Send us a note.

Please note: The Greater Columbus Arts Council (Arts Council) does not own or manage any public art. For the purposes of this database many pieces were entered by the Arts Council while we continue to search for the appropriate owner/manager of the work and other information to complete the entry. The Arts Council has tried to gather all available information about the works in this database, however, we acknowledge there may be missing or inaccurate information. If you can help us correct any inaccuracies, or provide more complete information, we would be grateful. Please use “Something missing? Please send us a note” above.