Partners

Partners

GENERAL MOSES CLEAVELAND

Artist

James C. Hamilton

Description:

Portrait figure of General Moses Cleaveland, founder of the city of Cleveland. He stands in a classical stance with his left foot stepped forward. He bears a staff in his right hand, and in his left arm he cradles a surveyors tool. Cleaveland is wearing the clothes of an honorable... Read more

Portrait figure of General Moses Cleaveland, founder of the city of Cleveland. He stands in a classical stance with his left foot stepped forward. He bears a staff in his right hand, and in his left arm he cradles a surveyors tool. Cleaveland is wearing the clothes of an honorable, wealthy man. His gaze is analytic and professional, as if he is still surveying the land around him where a now-developed metropolitan hub of the Great Lakes bustles.

Cleaveland was a surveyor, lawyer, soldier, and politician from Connecticut who ventured into Connecticut's Western Reserve (now North East Ohio). Cleaveland and his team landed at Settler's Landing in the Flats in 1796, and the city was founded shortly afterwards, with a grand total population of four.

There is speculation about why the city dropped the letter "A" from Cleaveland's name. The most poplar theory is that the editor of the first newspaper in Cleveland, "The Cleveland Advertiser, realized that "Cleaveland Advertiser" was one character too long for the printing form. so he dropped the "A" to make room. The change stuck, and the rest is history.

Cleaveland's statue was moved to line up with S. Ontario street during the 2016 renovations of Public Square.

Dates

Made: 1888

Additional Notes

The MOSES CLEAVELAND STATUE, erected in 1888 in honor of the 92nd birthday of the city's founding, dominates the southwest quadrant of PUBLIC SQUARE. Erected at a cost of $4,378 by the EARLY SETTLERS ASSN. OF THE WESTERN RESERVE, whose members trace their heritage to pioneers of Cleveland, the statue was sculpted by James C. Hamilton. The Moses Cleaveland Statue It shows Gen. Cleaveland dressed as a surveyor, with Jacob's staff in his right hand and a compass in his left. The monument is 7'10" high and rests on a circular pedestal 7' high. Before casting the statue in bronze, the artist presented a plaster representation to the CLEVELAND CITY COUNCIL that was rejected because it was too tall. After a section was removed from Cleaveland's midriff and the halves were rejoined, Hamilton's work was accepted and cast in one piece, weighing 1,450 lbs. The statue was installed in the Square in a gala ceremony on 22 July 1888. The Early Settlers Assn., accompanied by the CLEVELAND GRAYS, the Guard of Honor, marched from the Music Hall to Public Square for the unveiling. A program followed in the Music Hall, featuring an address by Samuel E. Adams. The statue has withstood Public Square renovations, attempts to move it to UNIV. CIRCLE, and even rats in the base, remaining a proud symbol of Cleveland throughout its history.

Media
Info about this place
Wheelchair Accessible
ADA Accessible
Categories
Sculpture
Address:

50 Public Square Suite 1700
Cleveland, OH 44113
County

Dimensions

Height: 7'10"

Something missing? Send us a note.

Please note: The Greater Columbus Arts Council (Arts Council) does not own or manage any public art. For the purposes of this database many pieces were entered by the Arts Council while we continue to search for the appropriate owner/manager of the work and other information to complete the entry. The Arts Council has tried to gather all available information about the works in this database, however, we acknowledge there may be missing or inaccurate information. If you can help us correct any inaccuracies, or provide more complete information, we would be grateful. Please use “Something missing? Please send us a note” above.

Nearby Public Artwork

Nearby Events